Tuesday, June 28, 2011

meet my hutch

lookie lookie at what i (finally) got!
i've had my eye out for a hutch since shortly after we moved to this house, and have been single-mindedly hunting for one for the last two weeks in the local classifieds.
well, i finally snapped this beauty up before someone else got to it! i'll tell ya- when you're looking to spend less than a hundred bucks, they go fast!

i really fell for this one when i saw the hooks- perfect for my vintage mug collection!
in fact, the boys got to stay up past their bedtime to help me clean it up and hang the mugs as soon as we got it into the house.
(they love helping me clean if it involves wet wipes or sponges. picking up toys? not so much.)

i think these mugs are super happy to see the light of day after being behind cupboard doors for so long!


i originally intended to paint whatever i got either white or a really light milky-blue, but mr. o isn't excited about that. this hutch is super glossy and will be a huge pain to sand down, with all the grooves and surfaces. so, i think it will stay like this for awhile. it sort of matches our table anyways, but a white cabinet would really make those mugs pop!


what do you think? wood or white?

7 comments:

Michael Bendio said...

You know me--I like wood! and it would work better with the table, even high-gloss.
One vote.
Mom (I've messed up my account somehow so I'm using Dad's.)

Meg March said...

Daaarling! It looks like a really nice wood color, clear and light, so I'd keep it. Clever you! Where will you put it?

Sarah said...

If it's the finish that's keeping you from making it look the way you want, don't bother sanding just prime, prime, prime! The paint will stick even to that glossy surface. Maybe scuff it up a little, but don't worry about getting the whole thing sanded.

It is a really cute hutch, painted or not. :) Good find!

liesel said...

I like the nice wood color... but I think white would look pretty too. I actually think the wood makes the contrast better with the white cups than a white paint would... Cute either way, I'm sure though. What a great find!

Andrea said...

Eve, I love it. You have the funnest decorations. I love your artistic eye.

The Whitaker Family said...

I really like the wood but you know I can't imagine anything before its a reality and you have impeccable taste... Its super cute! I'm not really a hutch girl, so I thought, but I really like that one a lot!

Yay for determination paying off and sounds like fun having the boys help you clean it! :)

The Hardy's said...

Oh I just love it...and it sound like you got it for a great deal. Way to go!