Monday, August 24, 2009

letting go

i think one of the biggest lessons for me to learn from my boys right now is not sweating the small stuff.
i have realised since becoming a mother just how controlling i am. i want things to happen just how and when i think they should.
this is not very compatible with babies, let alone toddlers, and makes for lots of power struggles.
i am not proud of this, and really want to relax.
i think letting go is really key to enjoying this stage of life, which is so important because it goes by incredibly fast.
so, the last few days i have really been making a conscious effort to calm down and not worry so much about naps/bedtimes/schedules, and i have to say, it's been nice.
i know just how important naps are, and i know i can't be totally lenient about them all the time, but letting things slide every once in awhile has also helped me back off on the littler things, too.
i am really hoping i can continue with this and be more laid back, easy going and happier with my babies.
i would love any advice you have to give on how to keep perspective and be calm!

oh- and also any advice on how to upload videos here! i have tried to upload youtube videos several times and been totally unsuccessful so far!

8 comments:

liesel said...

..sigh.. me too.

I think being a mother at all brings out the control freaks in everyone. Seriously. Lately I am really bad at getting after my kids for every little annoying thing they do, but its not fair to them... I need to figure out a way for everything to not drive me totally nuts.

The first step is recognizing it though (and then praying for help). Good luck sweetie! (I'm trying too!)

AND I have tried to upload videos too, or even link to them... no clue, I'd love to know as well.

Sarah said...

I've found that screaming "Serenity now!!!" at the top of my lungs does wonders.

Seriously, though, I think all us mothers of little ones have the tendency to try to make things just so in our homes, and sometimes those dear little ones and their innocent ways have other ideas. Hang in there- we're all working on the same thing!

As for uploading from youtube, here's what I've done:

Choose your video and to the right of the large box where the video appears will be a small, light gray box. What you're looking for is the word "Embed" and then a white rectangle with some html code in it. (Not all videos have this and may say "Embedding disabled by request", in which case you can't embed that particular video.)

Highlight that code, then copy and paste it directly to your post text. I use the the "Edit Html" tab instead of "Compose", though I don't know that it matters.

Switch over to "Compose" and you'll probably just see a tiny box with a red X in it, so it looks like it didn't work. But once you publish your post the video will appear just fine.

Hope that works!

Erin said...

Eve, I look up to you so much as a mother, you do an amazing job. It is hard to balance essential schedules and the spontinaity of just enjoying the moment. I suppose sometimes that it helps to have a plan but be flexible. If you find a perfect way to do that please tell ME:)

susan said...

I am also controlling. The biggest issues for me are keeping things clean and not letting things get destroyed. I get tired of cleaning up mess after mess after mess all day. But, there is a lot of fun in throwing the couch pillows everywhere and dragging around blankets and dumping out toy bins. And sometimes eating is completely messy.

Its hard when the kids 'fun' creates a bigger work load for me. Maybe when they are older and better helpers with cleaning up I won't feel so freaked out.

The Whitaker Family said...

You already know I have this issue too, Evie! My big thing is if the day doesn't go the way I think its going to-- ie, naps don't happen & I don't get my 'me' time. If I make a plan B so that I'm happy with another plan if the nap doesn't happen, that really helps me. Like I plan an alternative activity that I'm happy with too...

Btw, I think the dirty Miley pic is so fun and also appropriate for this post-- LOL!

Janel said...

Very cute picture! The more kids I have the less "stressed" I get over everything. But I have a lot less patience then I used to. I wonder how our mother's did it sometimes.

Detta said...

Janel, I wonder how we did it sometimes, too! (Well, actually, sometimes we LOST IT as well--so there!) But you can go on and make amends and figure a way to do better next time. Thank goodness!

Detta said...

And I also LOVE that picture of Miles with a dirty face and big grin!