so anyways it felt really good to finally finish a project i've had in the works for ages.
miles has a duvet cover from ikea that i really like, and i found an identical one at a thrift store forever ago- in fact before i had opened the original and before he was in a big bed. i decided to use the thrifted one as is and make the new one into a quilt.
i cut the seams off and got some bamboo batting, laid it all out and got it pinned, and decided to try my hand at machine quilting.
bad idea.
i can't remember being so frustrated while sewing before. i was a grouch!
i couldn't get the fabric to stay put, it just slipped and puckered like crazy. i got ten or so lengths sewn, lengthwise and crosswise, before i gave up. then after ahile, when i had cooled off, i sat and unpicked all the stitches.
i decided that it was worth the money to take it to a quilt shop to have it professionally quilted, and i am so happy with the results. i wanted to bind it and give it to miles for christmas, but transitioning during the move, living with my parents and sharing my mom's sewing room (and machine) sort of threw a wrench in the gears.
whew. that was a very long winded way to explain that: today i bound a cute quilt for my cute boy, who was very excited to have it and was happy to pretend to sleep under it while i took pictures.
8 comments:
it is wonderful! i love it!
cute eve! Both the pictures and the quilt. Machine quilting IS nasty. I've only been able to do it on very small quilts, and it was really thin batting and pinned EVERYWHERE. Good idea on the professional.
Oh it is gorgeous!!! I bet Miles is in LOVE with it!
I love it!! Good call on getting a professional to quilt it, not worth the frustration. Miles looks dang cute "sleeping" under it too.
Yeah, I love Miles' pose too-- he's such a cutie!!! And the quilt is awesome! I shouldda seen it in person the other day...
Hope the funk goes soon... Love you!
Love the blanket!
I have an old sewing machine and every time I sew I get frustrated. I found a good deal on a new Bernini I'm going to get this week! I'm so excited!
What a darling quilt! Maybe you're in the season of 'pre-nesting' syndrome.
Post a Comment