Wednesday, September 19, 2012

miles + halloween (already)


(i took these pictures several weeks ago!)

miles has been into creepy things for awhile now, and i think it's safe to say that he is crazy about halloween! i found his plastic spider stuck in his dream catcher by his bed- so funny!
as much as he is still into native american indians, he won't hear of dressing up as one (even for new moccasins) since it isn't scary enough.

i am still working on it, though. i am not ready to give into the blood and gore side of the holiday!

but i will probably still get him new moccasins..!



p.s.
is it just me, or do all the freaky haunted house billboards on the freeway bother you, too? and does it seem to be getting worse, or is that my imagination, too? i know that having kids has made me even more sensitive to it, but i don't think that's all.
driving through salt lake city last week, there was a really awful one that projected a silhouetted murder scene complete with blood splashing everywhere onto the side of a huge building on the side of the freeway. that same place also had these gigantic monster figures holding up mannequins by their ankles. the monster thing? meh. not so big a deal. it'll give finn bad dreams, which keeps us up at night, but murder? that is real. that is people being monsters. and don't even get me started on the gory masks that teach children to be afraid of deformation or scarring.
i don't like to be so desensitized that these things don't bother me, and call me a party-pooper but i don't think it's right to make it okay because of a holiday "just once a year".
but if you do, i'd love to hear why! (really, so i can understand..)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Eve, I haven't noticed any signs, but I'm driving to SLC tomorrow. Maybe I'll see some. I'm sure I'll completely agree with you.

Meg March said...

I have seen yucky signs, and I hate them, and there is a haunted circus thing too which is horrid and fuels the ridiculous fear of clowns that little kids have now which makes me sad because clowns used to be sweet and funny; remember Aunt Pam's clown school? When I see ugly or sexy signs I point out other things on the other side of the freeway, "look at that light on top of the mountain over there!" ("What light? I can't see any light." "Keep looking!")

The Whitaker Family said...

Haha, Meg, I like that distraction... I hate the crud too, Evie. *sigh*