Thursday, June 3, 2010

house before & afters: theatre/playroom

it has been a bit of a production to get these pictures!
i wanted mr. o's help in moving the makeshift wooden window well covers to let light in the basement, as well as the boys' cooperation in cleaning the playroom.
-but here we have it!

first off, some exciting pictures of the stairs:
this before shot is looking down at the textured-but-not-painted walls, and bare stairs.

and here is after the re-texturing, painting, carpet and new banister (thanks, landon!)

the before looking up. (you can see the rough orange peel texture it had before)

and then the after.
mr. o chose the color scheme for the basement (at least this part that's finished) and it turned out awesome. two toned grey.

now for some before shots of the room:
this is looking in from the landing at the bottom of the stairs.

looking towards the back (the stairs would be at the end to the left)

and looking towards the front.

now for the afters:
this is looking towards the back again. i am in love with our new carpet. it is amazing to see this room finished, especially knowing how much work mr. o put into it and how long he anticipated his own theatre room.
this would be just to the left in the first picture. i was so excited to find this cute little desk at the thrift store, and i'm trying to decide whether or not to paint it.

on that same thrifting trip i found this (highly unsuitable for children) cool old shipping trunk. i was so excited, but i don't know how long it will serve as the ottoman. should we just wait and see when the first sliver or injury occurs?!

mr. o thought of the component console idea late one night and was up cutting a big hole in the wall early the next morning. i have to admit it is nice to have the equipment out of reach of those eager button-pushing fingers.

here is a view of the huge screen. it has been so much fun watching movies down here, we have been taking advantage of the library, netflix, and friends' collections like crazy.

just a glimpse of the awesome movie action.

behind the couch is the play area. we got the ikea shelves to store the toys, but the beanbag and tent somehow fit in miles' room before we moved. it is nice to have a central place for all the kid stuff.
this room has been such a luxury in both it's functions, especially coming from a home with only one (tiny) living room!

5 comments:

Janel said...

It is looks great! I would love a big room like that. I'm living in a house with "one small living room". I thought you had painted the desk because it is the color of the pillow in your bedroom, that looks great by the way. The bean bag is so cute!

The Whitaker Family said...

Eve, I love your house!!! The before and afters in this are stunning, I think. 'Mr. O' did an INCREDIBLE job! I just realized Randy hasn't ever been to your house and we have to remedy that soon... I love the desk how it is and the trunk is amazing! (Miss and love you!)

Angie Berrio said...

Wow, you guys have been busy. This room looks amazing.

Jennifer Napierski said...

Another amazing room. So happy for you.

The Hardy's said...

Oh Eve, What a beautiful home you have and what a great job you, your hubby, and friend have done! I am just amazed at the simplicity of all you have and I LOVE IT! I wish I could simplify the way it looks like you do. Simple yet...shall I say, STUNNING! Now I want to come see it in real life sometime!

Your kid tent, toy shelves, and bean bag - did they all come from IKEA? I love them all.