Monday, June 15, 2009

a tragic (tooth) loss

this is one of the last pictures of finny with his two front teeth.
thursday evening he slipped and hit his mouth on our bed frame & knocked out his top right tooth- just like that!
i can't believe how easy something major can happen, and we're just grateful it wasn't any worse, although we are really sad that he only had that cute tooth for a month or so!
he had a little gap between his teeth on top, and we were so excited to see how cute he would look growing up with a space in front.

now he will grow up looking like a pirate.

actually, we will probably end up getting him an artificial tooth so it can control the space in his mouth, but that won't be for awhile.

it was pretty gory at first, but here's just a picture of the swelling the next day. see how swollen the right side of his face is? (your left!) his nostrils are uneven and he can't close his mouth- hence the drool..

and this picture is two-dimensional- it looked so much worse in person. i hardly even recognised him, he looked like a monkey with a huge upper lip.

all in all he's been a trooper. a little more clingy, but just as cheerful. he had a fever over the weekend, so i took him to the doctor today and it turns out he has an ear infection (a first for our family) on top of everything else, poor little guy.

i just have to move on.. it makes me so sad thinking about it!

4 comments:

The Whitaker Family said...

Poor little Finny!!!!! I'm wafna for you! He's so cute, though! Even all swollen up. Plus that first picture of him is darling! I think he looks a lot like you, Eve-- maybe its his eyes...

Angie Berrio said...

That is a very sad story. It's great how cheerful kids are during tragedy. I wonder what changes?

Is the rainbow in the picture at Mr. O's house real? There was a rainbow last week and I tried to take pictures of it and then fake a rainbow in other pictures, but it didn't work as well as I'd've liked. Can I have a copy of the rainbow picture so I can steal your rainbow?

Amanda ~ A Crafty Fox said...

poor little finn!!! No more alfalfa smile!!! I hope he is feeling better and that you can enjoy the toothless pictures whie they are around!

The Hardy's said...

The FIRST EVER ear infection?! Sounds like you guys are pretty healthy. I hope he gets feeling better soon.