without a doubt, my favorite thing about our little house is the yard.
i may have mentioned this before, and i'll probably do it again.
i know very well that we may never again have such a great yard, with beautiful expansive trees and a ball park for a backyard neighbor.
my favorite thing in our yard (and also my most hated) is the enormous walnut tree. i absolutely adore it's long, broad green leaves and silvery bark.
but, i hate the walnuts burrowing into the grass and making the lawn bumpy and slimy.
.JPG)
so, this year i am going to try and learn how to harvest the walnuts so we can eat them and bake with them and share them.
luckily, we have some time before they ripen and fall.
(we wondered what a green walnut looked like inside, and in case you ever did too, there's a picture for you!)
Principles of Provident Living for Provident Providers
Posted: 03 Jul 2009 12:00 AM PDT
“All of us are responsible to provide for ourselves and our families in both temporal and spiritual ways. To provide providently, we must practice the principles of provident living: joyfully living within our means, being content with what we have, avoiding excessive debt, and diligently saving and preparing for rainy-day emergencies. When we live providently, we can provide for ourselves and our families and also follow the Savior’s example to serve and bless others.”
Robert D. Hales, “Becoming Provident Providers Temporally and Spiritually,” Ensign, May 2009, 8
Posted: 03 Jul 2009 12:00 AM PDT
“All of us are responsible to provide for ourselves and our families in both temporal and spiritual ways. To provide providently, we must practice the principles of provident living: joyfully living within our means, being content with what we have, avoiding excessive debt, and diligently saving and preparing for rainy-day emergencies. When we live providently, we can provide for ourselves and our families and also follow the Savior’s example to serve and bless others.”
Robert D. Hales, “Becoming Provident Providers Temporally and Spiritually,” Ensign, May 2009, 8
5 comments:
My mother-in-law has a walnut tree. Nothing better than fresh walnuts!! I just remember the kids picking them up and cracking them - messy!! I know we pick them up when they fall off the tree in the fall - but it seems she put them in the garage for awhile before we cracked them. I will ask her. LOVE your backyard!!!!
Your backyard is simply marvelous, its true! It makes me think of my grandma house's yard and how much I loved that. Its true that outdoor spaces can be really an extension of indoor ones. Its my favorite of all the sister's yards-- probably even more than Meg's!
You DO have a fantastic backyard. I've been jealous of it on more than one occasion. Ü
you yard IS so very lovely! I think/hope our little tree in the front is a walnut tree, though it is too small to bear walnuts (either that or it really ISN'T one). Fresh walnuts would be yummy.
Amanda harvested some of the Wilbur's walnuts last year and gave me a big bag and I'm still using them. I would ask her what she did. I know she baked them and then we left them in the garage for a month.
Post a Comment