Sunday, April 25, 2010

steamed

the original
the imposter

my stomache dropped when i came across this old giveaway

i checked her etsy shop and the location says salt lake city. so really, it doesn't leave too much doubt in my mind as to the origins of her 'inspiration'

so bugged. it's one thing to copy something for personal use (which i freely admit to doing myself!), but to pass it off as your own idea- and then SELL it- is just low.

granted, there is a chance i am wrong, it's not like i am the only one who could possibly think of this idea, but i have seen other little boy watches out there and they are very different.
my one consolation is that she hasn't sold many of them.

it's always a risk putting something 'out there' and to be honest, i've been afraid that something like this would happen, but it didn't prepare me for how hurt i would feel when it did.
i know i could be (a lot) more motivated with my etsy shop, but at least i know i'm the original!
**********
(edited to add: after emailing with the alleged imposter, i am convinced that it was indeed an astonishing coincedence. i never would have thought. however, i have learned to wait until i have communicated with someone before ranting here! i am leaving the post up, though, because the problem is out there and is far too common. also, it is how i truly felt upon discovering her watches. as unbelievable as it is, i believe she thought of the same design independantly.)

5 comments:

susan said...

What a bummer. I think they usually say you have to change something a minimum of 10% for it to not be a copy. I don't think there is that much of a change there.

So sorry!

Andrea said...

Eve, that "lady" has guts. A real lady wouldn't ripoff your great idea. Unbelievable! Sorry that happened to you. I guess she's open to sharing ideas. Maybe she has some great ones you can sell!

liesel said...

ooh, I am soooo mad for you! I wrote a comment on the blog who featured the watches, and I flagged the watch for sale on her esty shop, but I think you need to convo her and ask her to stop selling them, because they aren't her design. So she knows she isn't getting away with it. I want to write her too. grrrr!

Detta said...

Well, I have to say that communication is a great thing--make a friend instead of an enemy. Good luck for both of you!

Janel said...

I read this post after you had emailed the lady and found out is was a coincidence. I was really inspired by your mom's comment about making a friend not an enemy. Thanks Detta.