i have been so excited for this tent i had in mind for the boys. miles has always loved playing in tents, even though they usually consist of a blanket over his head. i found one at ikea for only $10, but it wasn't near cute enough for me. luckily, ikea also has scads of to-die-for fabric. so, i considered $10 a good price for a pattern and spring bars, and got this great tree fabric to make it irresistable. i added a window with some pom pom trim (which i am always looking for an excuse to use!) for fun. although as i was finishing it up, i wished i had made it round! it has velcro on top so it can be opened or closed. the tent is big enough that the four of us could probably all squeeze in, but the two of them could sprawl out.
someday i will learn to use pins, and my projects will turn out so much better, but all in all, i don't think anyone else will notice my goofs and i know the boys will love it. i plan on setting it up after they're in bed christmas eve and putting their other presents inside. i can't wait to see miles' face! 
then, as i was trying to sleep last night, i got the idea to make a nativity that is kid friendly and can be played with. i thought i'd start small this year, just mary, joseph and the baby Jesus to add on christmas. we'll add on the shepherds, wise men, etc in the coming years. i got some wooden pegs and we glued felt and cloth on for clothes. i need to get a better picture, but you get the idea!
i remember reading something in the ensign some time ago about a christmas tradition where a family had a nativity that was missing baby Jesus until christmas, and they would fill the empty manger with straw, peice by peice, for every good deed or Christlike act they witnessed. then the manger would be ready for Christs' birth on christmas morning. i like that idea, and i think we'll try it out. anything to help keep the focus on the Savior at the time of His birth.
4 comments:
dang Eve, that tent is AWESOME!! You never cease to amaze me. Darling, darling, darling!
I'm soooooooooooo sad and jealous cause you're so talented and I'm not... :( Its true but I'm also super impressed with the tent-- WOW! I'll pay you to make one for Audrey....... And I love the nativity set idea and start-- I'll take one of everything!
Wow eve, I love how the tent turned out!! You are so amazing! Miles and Finn are going to make a million wonderful memories playing in that tent. Miss you!!
Holy cow- you made a tent?!! Very, VERY impressive! I'm loving that tree fabric.
Oh, and nice work on the reverse applique tee. Someday I'll have to try that technique on something for ME!
(P.S. Thanks for the link to your blog. I love blog sharing!)
Post a Comment