Friday, May 22, 2009

the breakup..

(or, the case of the missing dolls.)
so..
a little (well, long..) update about this last beehive bazaar that i participated in.

i had so much fun, it was just awesome. i loved being a part of it, and i did well. it has been a really big deal to me (in case you couldn't tell..) and is something i plan for and work at a lot.

that said, i don't think i'll be doing it again.

i had planned on it, but then i got my check & list of things that had sold. as i sat and compared their list to mine, i grew sick inside because i was missing six (!) things.
(and by 'things', i mean carefully planned, designed and lovingly hand made one-of-a-kind things like the two dolls pictured above, a tote bag, a pillow, a turtle and a watch.)

that was a hard pill to swallow- and, to their credit, they cut me another check for half the missing amount, which i know they aren't responsible for.

but it's not about the money. i just don't think i can take a loss like that again. it represents a lot of work, and it's just too personal.

apparantly, this is a very rare occurance.

but, as heartbreaking as it is, i won't be doing the bazaar again, and i get the feeling that i might not be welcome back anyways.
--too much of a trouble-maker!
(for the record, i am blogging about it not out of anger or vengance or cattiness, but mostly just because it's a big deal to me, and it's been on my mind.)

in a way, it will be a relief i suppose, since i don't have anywhere to sew but the kitchen table, and my house is a complete disaster in the weeks of preparation before the show.

but, it's mostly a bummer because this was my 'thing'.

and i loved it.

i still have etsy, i suppose, but i've never been very succesful there. and there is no other craft show (i've seen) like the bazaar and no other i am interested in participating in.

it really does feel like a breakup to me!

okay.

moving on.

7 comments:

susan said...

I'm so sorry your things were stolen! I guess they maybe need a person on a floor watching greasy paws trying to take things.

And it is personal when someone steals something handmade. Its a one-of-a-kind item, not something thats pumped out of a factory every 50 seconds.

Bummer.

Andrea said...

Eve, I can imagine how discouraging it must be to have something you worked so hard out end on a bad note. I think you should start a craft show. I'd help you. I am being serious.

The Whitaker Family said...

Wow, Eve! This is HUGE!!!!!!! Are you ok? I'll see you Sunday, right? We can talk then... I'm sorry, hon!

Sarah said...

Man, just reading that made me feel sick for you! That really is a huge bummer. Apparently someone just HAD to have something you made! I understand your decision to not participate again, but maybe by next year you'll feel differently.

Amanda ~ A Crafty Fox said...

Oh, I hate that this happened!!! I can understand how devastating it can feel to lose things that you spend enormous amounts of time on and then not understand if they walked away or mistakenly were charged to the wrong account.

I hope you find another outlet, your items are precious and deserve to be showcased!

Kristin said...

I understand your feelings about your stolen items. People sometimes don't understand the time and stress that goes into homemade items. I wondered when I was there about the robot doll. That's too bad. I hope you still make things and post them.

liesel said...

-sigh- I know eve... I don't think I can do it again either. It totally and thoroughly sucks.