Tuesday, May 5, 2009

planted

so i got half of my seeds planted yesterday- the peas, carrots & zucchini. i felt like it should be more complicated or something, how can putting them in the dirt be all? now i know why faith is compared to a seed.
when i went out to water this morning, i got a suprise. look at the bottom right corner (where i had just planted my carrot seeds very shallow) and you'll see what our neighbors' evil cat did.
that's right- he thought my precious garden was his personal litter box. i am so steamed! this same cat has covered our strollers with cat hair and puke (i guess leaving them on the patio would be our mistake, but still!) and has an attitude when mr. o tries to chase him away. he actually fights back- hissing and swatting at him!

for now, we found some wire mesh to cover the boxes, but i am trying to think of a more permanant & practical solution. it's so frustrating, because it's not even our cat & shouldn't be in our yard in the first place.

do you have any suggestions for keeping cats away?

5 comments:

liesel said...

covering it with mesh is a good idea! you can also cover with chicken wire as a more permanent solution (they hate stepping on it) just cut bigger holes as needed for the plants as they grow. or spray vinegar, or sprinkle any citrus peels... they hate those (lavender too). or cayenne pepper. I googled cat repellents and found all sorts of good (and harmless) stuff. I'm going to need it to for my garden too when I get around to planting it.

Sarah said...

Buy a dog. :)

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to seeing how your garden turns out and wishing I could make one of my own!

The Hardy's said...

When you see that dumb cat, spray it in the face with a water bottle back to it's own house. I would be really annoyed too. I'm not a cat person.

kaarina said...

i would be seriously annoyed, too! (even though i AM a cat person!) i've heard of a spray called bitter apple that is supposed to repel pets, but i haven't been able to find it in any local stores. good luck! and happy gardening!

The Whitaker Family said...

Randy has some pretty morbid ideas for keeping dogs away....... he likes cats generally though so I'll have to check with him and see if he's got anything for ya. I'd be PISSED though!!!