sometimes i don't even care.
i have a hard time getting rid of clothing/shoes- it takes a lot to get them sometimes, and i always think i'll wear them again someday. usually that's not a good thing- it makes it seem like i have a lot, but i only wear a fraction of it.
however, i was happy to have a pair of white shorts that i held on to, that i could DYE, after i was inspired by this fashion post, and started craving some mint colored shorts. apparently everyone wants mint jeans, according to the many DIYs out there! (i referenced this one)
(fyi- i don't normally wear heels with shorts.. just bein' real! but i wanted to spice it up a bit for you. you're welcome!)
anyways, it's a lot of fun to dye clothes, as it turns out! i've heard of it getting addicting, and of the frenzy of grabbing anything dye-able to add to the water. i can attest. our grubby cloth napkins were close at hand, and are now varying shades of blue. i did plan on this side effect, and had some of the boys' tops ready to add to the party in the sink. i don't remember tie-dyeing before, but i'm sure i have, as i just kind of winged it. so much fun!
it helps that i wasn't too worried about the color. give me pretty much any shade of turquoise and i'm happy! although i did leave the shorts in too long, panicked a bit, then decided to soak them in some hot water + bleach to lighten them up a bit, which ended up making them seem kind of a brighter green shade.
after they went through a regular wash/dry cycle, i could see some splotches, but it's hard to know if it was from the dye, or just old stains that were brought out. kind of a bummer either way.
bottom line- i'm not scared of dye anymore. in fact, i'm excited to find another project for the rest of the green dye!
my advice? i do think it helps to not have too high of expectations for a specific outcome. and, i will concede that rubber gloves really aren't unnecessary- my hands kind of look like they have lost circulation!
have you dyed clothing before? if not, would you try it?
p.s. thanks to miles, again, for the pictures of me!
4 comments:
What a fun project! You are such a doll! Now I want to dye things. I am delighted that you're going to post more! Can't get enough.
That's awesome! I've dyed before but not much at all. Never tie-dyed (or however you spell it) though. Fun! And you look HOTT! And nice freaking job on the pics, Miley! The shorts look great and I love those boys too! Cuties!
I've dyed a lot of stuff, but lately everything I want to be black or brown comes out purple, ew. I tea-stain old tee shirts and things that are no longer bright white. I have no advice, like you, I only dye things I can afford to lose, with low expectations. Your shorts do look super cute, and I love stripey shirts so much! (And I love your boys so much!)
That color is beautiful, great job! And I totally agree that I was running around trying to look for anything I can put in the dye water, it is addicting! :)
p.s. your kids are adorable.
Post a Comment