Friday, August 10, 2012

back to school

yeah, so- as much as i might want to put it out of my mind, the time for school is fast approaching! ack!
i am so not ready, emotionally. 
the only thing miles really "needs" is a lunch box, since at his school we pay a fee (or as they call it, a donation, although i don't get the vibe that it isn't mandatory!) for the classroom to cover the supplies that he'll use. 
anyways, sometimes i like an excuse to find something new, and find the greatest one out there!

while i was shopping (online) for lunch boxes- like the awesome one above, i found this cool post featuring some amazing lunches. it boggles the mind! i will be sticking to something much simpler, but it was so fun to see how creative some mammas get!

while i was at it, i found some other awesome school supplies. this backpack would be perfect for finn to take to preschool (fingers crossed that third on the waiting list somehow gets in!)

i love this recycled library card notepad. you can find it here.

these pencils are so cool! if i had more time/money/ambition i would love to put together a little back-to-school surprise for the boys with these included. maybe someday!

 and these scissors just take me back. i swear i used the same ones as a kid (only not left handed)!

i've seen apple jackets like this on etsy for awhile, and always loved them. especially the contrast with the brightly colored apples! i don't know if i could part with one to give to a teacher. they would have to be a pretty rockin' teacher....

what's your philosophy when it comes to school supplies? do you let your kids pick what they love? do you choose what you like and then offer them a choice of a few of your picks?
do you go for the deals, or do you spend more to get good design/quality?
also, any advice for me on school lunch?

4 comments:

Meg March said...

For school lunch--always an issue--still an issue! In elementary school, my kids got little school lunch menus, and they'd pick out one or two favorites each week from the cafeteria. Otherwise, I just made them PBJ or turkey sandwiches, and a little treat. It's sad to work in the lunchrooms and see the kids throw their entire lunch away; they don't want to bother with lunch when it cuts into their recess!

Andrea said...

Eve, those lunches were so cool. The ones with little kids in them freaked me out and made me want to smash them with a hammer. I need lunch ideas, too. I bought some of those plastic sandwich holders so I don't have to use tons of baggies. I think I'll just do turkey sandwiches and apples everyday since that is what the boy likes. I have also been looking for lunch boxes, but mostly plastic holders with individual compartments for different food. I wish I could be a fly on the wall during lunch for the first few weeks. I'm nervous about that part.

The Whitaker Family said...

I'm taking one year at a time and I don't have to think about 1st grade yet so la-la-la-la fingers in my ears, I can't hear you! ;) But I've let Audrey pick out her backpack, school clothes, etc with a little guidance but quite a bit (I think anyway) of freedom. I want her to love what she wears and love her stuff so... Maybe when she gets older our tastes will mesh better????

liesel said...

Those bento boxes are darling, and somewhat mentally exhausting to look at. I usually just do the standard sandwich (in a reusable plastic container) fruit and little snack (like fish crackers or something).

Doubtful Mary, her tastes will become even more set in stone. And probably not in line with yours. At all. Unfortunately. Both from my experience as a mom, and from shopping with Mom...