Saturday, February 14, 2009

happy heart day


happy valentines day!
i hadn't planned on doing anything holiday-ish today. i've seen lots of cute blog posts, but nothing that really inspired me until this post last night (thanks, sarah!).

then i was reading little bear's friend to my sick boy and he wanted cake. and he is so sweet and so sick that i couldn't say no. so he chose carrot cake and i found a recipe with applesauce, too, and that's what he got for dinner. i even found a heart shaped cake pan that i don't think i've ever used before! i didn't add enough vanilla to the frosting, so it's pretty nasty. and no red food coloring left, so we got blue!

then onto the heart garlands. the cutting part was a little tedious, but after that it was a total cinch. i have never sewed nothing with my machine before. i am sure there is a term for it, but basically i am talking about the space between the hearts. it was kind of a trip for me.

this one is hanging above the table

and there are a few in the living room. it is actually fun to decorate for holidays (besides christmas)- who knew!?
finn watched me make these and was totally mesmerized. i think i'll have to make something similar for the boys' rooms.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, I love everything about your house (from the pictures). Your boys are so cute!!! Love you guys and miss you tons!

Sarah said...

So glad you tried out the garland craft- easy, right? I think strands of stars or even just different sized circles would be adorable for a boy's room. Though cutting out stars would be way more tedious than hearts. Eeshk!

Andrea said...

Eve, I feel way bad if your son got sick from my kids. When you guys came over Norah was still sick, but Matthew was done. Maybe we were wrong. I am sooooo sorry. I love your blog. You are so crafty. Just seeing all you do makes me tired. I don't have an ounce of creativity in me.

The Whitaker Family said...

So cute, Eve!!!!

Austin said...

cute, cute, cute Eve! I felt a lot more festive this valentine's day too! Poor sickie Miles, I hope he feels better

liesel said...

lol... that would be ME who said that not Austin! oops!